Saving Money on Furniture



There's no reason to pay big bucks for furniture. While finding secondhand furniture can be time-consuming and sometimes frustrating, it can save you thousands of dollars.

The recliner pictured here cost me $50 at Salvation Army. It's a La-Z-Boy in nearly perfect condition that would have cost me a few hundred dollars new. I also found a nearly new couch for $50, and paid someone $40 to transport them to my apartment in their pickup truck and move them in for me.

Along the way, I had a near miss (a couch I wanted that someone else bought before I could find someone to move it for me) and many frustrating visits to thrift shops where there was nothing good available or the items I liked were overpriced (I couldn't fathom spending $500 on a couch at a thrift shop). It can be difficult to find items that are nice, cheap, and match your decor. In the end though, I'm glad I went to the extra trouble. Even the cheapest full sized couch at Ikea costs $400.

As an added bonus, when you make a purchase from a store like Salvation Army, Goodwill, or St. Vincent, your money will go to a good cause. That's socially responsible spending at its finest.

Tags:

Comments

Popular Posts